24 NORTH HILL (east side) - (The Marquis of Granby Inn)

Posted by pcrummy

Location

Colchester, ESS
United Kingdom
51° 53' 31.3764" N, 0° 53' 47.076" E
See map: Google Maps

Grade II*.
An early C16 building (circa 1520) with exceptionally fine carved detail, though much of the building was extensively restored in 1914. 2 storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled, L-shaped. The front has much of the timber-framing exposed and the upper storey projects. The ground floor front has been rebuilt and modernised. 4 main windows, wood mullions and transoms, leaded lattices. The best carved detail is in the east wing main room, which is divided into 2 bays by a richly carved heavy transverse beam.

---------------

Ref. in 'Essex', Pevsner/Bettley 2007, p 289.

Nos 13 to 29 (consec) form a group.

[Original owner of the building may have been clothier Henry Webbe.
The building was an inn, called the Crown, by 1753, and it became the Marquis of Granby in 1769.
Innkeepers include: John Degraves, c 1768; Benjamin Brame, 1769-1779; John Howes, c 1781; Abednego Bland, 1809-1818 (JBBBD).]

ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3992 - 1923, [building plan of restoration of 24 NORTH HILL, COLCHESTER], for Truman Hanbury Buxton Co. Ltd. (owner) by T.H. Baker (architect)

[In 1895 the street number of the Marquis of Granby Inn was 25, and the innkeeper was James Cocks.]

Old postcard by kind permission of J Jephcott.

Tags:  | Login to post comments